Joel Chavez has a slightly different idea of Renaissance portraiture than the average artist. He has this contrasting idea of what a contemporary portraiture art making should be. This artist whose first solo exhibition was recently exhibited at the Art Underground Gallery in Mandaluyong City called “Redeeming the Rebirth,” who paints wonderful portraits in Renaissance style, but with eye-catching modern and contemporary touches.
His artworks are an astonishing symbolic realism and for all the seeming influences of Renaissance Masters—Caravaggio and the Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer; both who belong to a Revival Period of light and shadow are also strong influences to the art of modern Filipino artist, Joel Chavez.
These paintings make us think about what the Renaissance masters would think if they could see the world today. Chavez’s cultivates a mature stroke of art form that only a great master can achieve. His art has depth and self-control in which each painting has strong kinship to the artist of the Enlightenment period, thinkers who embodied its ideas.
“Symmetry of Glamour,” denotes the detachment between outward appearances and inward splendor while as for “Eyes are Windows to the Soul,” Chavez puts a diamond across the eyes of the woman to portray the beauty within.
“Solemnity of an Aristocrat” has a red dot painted on the nose of a well-dressed turbaned man signifies a paragon of wealth to aristocrats is as important as a sentient.
The choice of his copiousness of characters combined with the sublime techniques marks the 24-year-old artist as a painter to watch for. Chavez is a product of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP) who hales from Sana Mesa, Philippines.
- Grand Prize — First Avida 3D Street Painting Competition 2011 (group)
- 2nd Place — 2nd Avida 3D Street Painting Competition 2012 (group)
- Grand Prize — Magnolia Tumbler Design Making Competition 2010
- Hon. Mention — Maningning Miclat Painting Competition 2011
- Finalist Golden Season Painting Competition 2011
- 2nd Place — Rotary On the Spot Painting Competition 2012
Exhibitions: Group Show
- Blue Series — (2012) Big and Small Art Gallery, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Independence Day — (2012) Big and Small Art Gallery, Vietnam
- Self Portrait — (2012) Big and Small Art Gallery, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Child — (2012) Art Center, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Pain and Pleasure — (2012) Big and Small Art Gallery, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Bonifacio — (2013) Yuchengco Museum
- Mother and Child — (2013) Big and Small Art Gallery, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Child — (2013) Art Center, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Affordable Art — (2014) SM Aura
- Art in the Park — (2014) Salcedo Village, Makati City
- Ave Figuras — (2014) Art Center, 4th floor, SM Megamall
- Group Show — (2014) Boston Gallery
Article Source: Symbolic Realism of Joel Chavez
Art provided by the Artist: Joel Chavez.